It’s totally different medicine in totally different working conditions. It’s a real eye-opener.
(Intensive care, Pediatricians, HIV-TB, GP, ER)
While we accept applications from general practitioners who meet the essential requirements below, MSF is in particular seeking HIV and tuberculosis specialists, pediatricians, anesthetists, surgeons, ER physicians, obstetrician-gynecologists and infectious disease specialists.
As a doctor working with Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF), you can help ensure access to lifesaving healthcare for people in need. MSF doctors:
- coordinate medical activities in the hospital
- train staff
- support policy development
- provide direct patient care and clinical supervision
MSF’s locally-hired medical staff provide most direct care. Expatriate doctors mainly supervise medical staff and have teaching and administrative responsibilities including training, planning medical programs, ordering medication and medical supplies, and reporting on medical activities. Only a small portion of what you do will be hands-on clinical work. You will also be responsible for the health of expatriate staff in the project.
Essential Requirements :
- full and current registration (NB. International Medical Graduates not registered in Canada have to go through a validation process)
- most specialties can apply right after residency (e.g. Inf. Disease, ER, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaelcology, Anaesthesiology, Internal medicine)
- family doctors and GPs need minimum one year relevant post-residency work experience
- available to work six to nine months
- experience supervising, training and managing others
- strong command of English
- relevant travel or work experience in a developing country or remote parts of Canada
- relevant experience in: emergency room, pediatrics, maternal health, infectiousdiseases, nutrition, obstetrics, HIV/AIDS, TB
- public health experience is a strong asset
- diploma in tropical medicine
- proficiency with Microsoft Office software(especially Excel)
- fluency in French and knowledge of Arabic is an asset