Whether a Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) project is a response to an emergency or longer-term, provision of reproductive health care will often be a component.
Among other reproductive health activities, MSF teams conduct antenatal consultations, assist in deliveries (including Caesarean section), provide prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) treatment to HIV-positive pregnant women, and care for patients suffering from sexual violence-related injuries. Additionally, a number of MSF programs offer specialist obstetric repair surgery for women with vaginal fistula.
As an obstetrician-gynecologist on an MSF field assignment, your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be put to the test. You will work to diagnose and treat medical conditions not commonly found in Canada, often without the resources you may be accustomed to having on hand. You can expect to perform both emergency and planned ob-gyn surgeries, manage obstetric complications (such as instrumental deliveries), manage post-operative follow-up, and train and support both surgical and midwifery staff. You will also need to learn cross-cultural issues surrounding childbirth.
You will not be facing these challenges alone—other MSF team members, both international and locally hired staff, will provide technical support, including extensive guidelines and protocols.
• full and current registration (NB. International Medical Graduates not registered in Canada have to go through a validation process)
• available to work a minimum of 6 weeks
• experience supervising, training and managing others
• experience in emergency obstetric care, Caesarean sections, assisted deliveries, hysterectomies
• strong command of English
• relevant travel or work experience in a developing country or remote parts of Canada
• HIV, prevention of mother-to-child transmission, management of sexually transmitted infections, management of care for sexual assault survivors
• tropical medicine
• proficiency with Microsoft Office software (especially Excel)
• fluency in French and knowledge of Arabic is an asset